Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

May 10 is here: "eLmatic" too

May 10 is finally here and as promised, Detroit's finest delivers his free new mixtape, "eLmatic"; just look at the tracklist, the title and the cover and if you still don't realize that this is an homage to one of hip hops G.O.A.T. albums then I don't really know what you're doing on this blog in the first place. The few songs I've heard so far ("Halftime", "Detroit State Of Mind" and "Verbal Intercourse Part II") all sounded very promising and after proving to be one of the illest emcees the D has to offer with his solo album "The Preface" and his work with Slum Village this download is a no brainer.

eLzhi ain't the first rapper to release an homage tape in honor of Nasty's Nas debut recently; remember the dope West Coast "freshman" Fashawn's take on those instrumentals which was also released via XXL as "Ode to Illmatic". eLzhi's project is different however, rather than going in over the original instrumentals he has had Detroit producers cook up beats with a very similiar feel while still keeping them up to date and with a big dose of the D in its sounds. Dealing with a classic like "Illmatic" that could potentially be a dangerous concept but from the singles releases eL seem to have it on lock.

One last thing, I've had some problems the last days with both my connection and my computer overall which is why you haven't seen any updates but luckily a phone call back home to my great ol' dad helped me fix the situation and I am now back on track. Enough talk; Enjoy the tape cuz I know I will and if you don't - it's only your loss!


01. "The Genesis"
02. "Detroit State Of Mind" (Houseshoes Shout)
03. "Halftime"
04. "Memory Lane"
05. "The World Is Yours"
06. "Represent"
07. "Life’s A !!" (Ft. Royce Da 5’9″ & Stokley Williams)
08. "One Love"
09. "It Ain’t Hard To Tell" (Pete Rock Shout)
10. "Pete Rock Shout"


eLzhi - "eLmatic" @ XXL.com

No comments:

Post a Comment